Super Healthy, Delicious Carrot Cake
This carrot cake is both healthy and delicious. It's takes a little while to bake, but it's easy to make and is well worth the wait! It also freezes well, so you can keep some one hand for morning tea or an afternoon snack.
Add your own spin on the recipe by adding raisins to the cake mix or topping with chopped walnuts. The cake keeps in the fridge for up to 5 days and it freezes well too, so there's no need to share if you don't want to. ;)
- 500 g grated raw carrots
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 300 g almond meal
- 60 ml olive oil or butter
- 160 g organic maple syrup or raw honey
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 200 g tub light cream cheese
- ½ cup thick strained Greek yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons honey or organic maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 160 C.
- Combine carrot, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, almond meal, oil, honey/maple syrup and baking powder.
- Mix well until combined.
- Pour into a prepared 20 cm baking tin.
- Bake for 1 – 1½ hours or until cooked through.
- Cover if necessary with foil. Remove from the oven and cool completely in the tin then turn out.
- To make the icing: Beat cream cheese for 1 minute. Add in yoghurt, maple syrup, vanilla and lemon juice.
- Spread icing evenly over cake and top with chopped walnuts if desired.
- Refrigerate for an hour or until icing has stiffened a little.